75 Syria rebels die in Damascus battles: Activists
Beirut: Syrian activists say government troops have killed at least 75 rebels over 24 hours in battles for control of the capital, Damascus.
The death toll reported by the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights today included 49 rebels killed in an ambush in Damascus` northeastern suburb of Adra early yesterday.
The group says an elite unit loyal to President Bashar Assad ambushed the rebels as they were trying to push into the city.
Syrian state news agency SANA reported the ambush yesterday, without giving a casualty figure.
The Observatory reported that another 17 rebels died in fighting yesterday in central Damascus, while another nine were killed in its suburbs.
It was one of the deadliest days for the opposition in the 2-year-old conflict, which has killed 93,000 people.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case