750,000 compensation for patients of NRI surgeon
London: Five patients have been paid 750,000
pounds in compensation after they were left in agony and with
permanent mobility problems following surgery by Indian-origin
orthopaedic Manjit Bhamra.
Bhamra, 55, who gained his medical qualifications from
the University of Sheffield in 1981, is being investigated by
Britain`s regulator but is still working in the National
health Service, the Daily Mail reported today.
One patient, Wayne Pickering, 59, had his pelvis
fractured during surgery which damaged a major nerve and left
him in so much permanent pain he has been unable to work
Another patient, a 23-year-old woman who needed a hip
replacement, was given the wrong implant which was then
inserted incorrectly, leaving her needing extensive surgery to
revise the problems and a lifelong disability.
A third patient in her 50s woke up after a routine hip
operation with one leg longer than the other.
The subsequent pain was so bad that she had to have her
entire hip joint removed for nearly three months before it
could be corrected.
The patients have received substantial out-of-court
settlements after Rotherham District Hospital in South
Yorkshire, where the operations were carried out between 2005
and 2007, admitted liability, the report added.
Bhamra left the hospital in September 2007, before the
He is now employed by the nearby Pinderfields Hospital in
Wakefield and also works for the private Care UK group in
Southampton and London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe