77 new polio cases found in Nigeria
Abuja: At least 77 new cases of poliomyelitis have been detected in 10 states in Nigeria, Xinhua reported.
Ado Mohammed, executive director of the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA), said this Saturday at a polio sensitisation meeting in northern Sokoto state.
Cases of the wild polio virus were prevalent in 209 wards in 30 local government areas across the country, Mohammed said.
He said President Goodluck Jonathan was fully committed to the total eradication of the disease from the country by the end of this year.
"Only Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan are currently harbouring the disease globally and this is a source of concern for all the stakeholders," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!