77 new polio cases found in Nigeria
Abuja: At least 77 new cases of poliomyelitis have been detected in 10 states in Nigeria, Xinhua reported.
Ado Mohammed, executive director of the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA), said this Saturday at a polio sensitisation meeting in northern Sokoto state.
Cases of the wild polio virus were prevalent in 209 wards in 30 local government areas across the country, Mohammed said.
He said President Goodluck Jonathan was fully committed to the total eradication of the disease from the country by the end of this year.
"Only Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan are currently harbouring the disease globally and this is a source of concern for all the stakeholders," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus