8 in 10 Americans laud Obama’s robust response to Hurricane Sandy
Washington: Likely voters of all political stripes have given positive ratings to President Barack Obama for his response to the devastating storm that smashed the East Coast this week.
Now, the question is whether it will make a difference in the long-deadlocked presidential election.
The latest ABC News/Washington Post daily tracking poll found that nearly 78 percent Americans rate Obama’s response to the hurricane positively (as excellent or good), while just 8 percent see it negatively.
Romney, who naturally has had a far less prominent role in this issue, is rated positively for his response to the hurricane by 44 percent, negatively by 21 percent, with many more, 35 percent, expressing no opinion.
According to ABC News, the federal government’s overall response to the storm is rated about as well as Obama’s, 73 percent positive in this poll, produced for ABC by Langer Research Associates.
These ratings are far higher than the government’s, or George W. Bush’s, a week after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
Views on Obama’s response to the hurricane exhibit some bipartisanship in an otherwise highly partisan period.
He’s rated positively on the issue by 63 percent of Republicans as well as more than 80 percent of Democrats and independents, and by nearly as many conservatives (73 percent) as moderates and liberals (eight in 10).
Whites in this survey favor Romney by 58-40 percent, including white men by 62-36 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31