8 killed in Friday clashes in Egypt
Cairo: At least 8 people were killed and 221 were injured in clashes between security forces and citizens and supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi during Egypt`s Friday protests, the country`s health ministry said.
In a press release, the ministry said two people were killed in Cairo, three in Giza and one in Port Said, Xinhua reported.
On Friday, medical officials and state-run media said that 11 people were killed and dozens of others were injured in skirmishes between supporters of Morsi and citizens, and in attacks launched by unknown militants against police stations in different governorates.
More than 350 members of the Muslim Brotherhood were also arrested Friday, according to official news agency MENA.
Meanwhile, the National Alliance for Supporting Legitimacy, a pro-Morsi bloc comprising 33 Islamic movements, announced Saturday that the protests will continue against what it said is an "oppressive coup".
In a statement, the alliance called on the citizens to activate "peaceful civil disobedience", which aims to hinder the movements of the security forces and force them to retreat.
The statement added the consecutive arrests of the Muslim Brotherhood`s top leaders cannot stop the crowds from taking to the streets, where new field leaders will emerge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'