‘8% rise in Haj pilgrims’
Mecca: There has been an 8 percent rise in the number of Haj pilgrims this season in comparison to the last time, Xinhua reported Saturday citing Saudi Arabian authorities.
Of the total 3,161,573 pilgrims, 64.3 percent are male while 35.7 percent are female, Saudi News Agency quoted a statistics and information department official as saying.
Pilgrims come from 107 countries during the season, the official added.
Haj is one of the largest pilgrimages in the world and is the fifth pillar of Islam, a religious duty which must be carried out at least once in lifetime by every able-bodied Muslim able to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony