‘8% rise in Haj pilgrims’
Mecca: There has been an 8 percent rise in the number of Haj pilgrims this season in comparison to the last time, Xinhua reported Saturday citing Saudi Arabian authorities.
Of the total 3,161,573 pilgrims, 64.3 percent are male while 35.7 percent are female, Saudi News Agency quoted a statistics and information department official as saying.
Pilgrims come from 107 countries during the season, the official added.
Haj is one of the largest pilgrimages in the world and is the fifth pillar of Islam, a religious duty which must be carried out at least once in lifetime by every able-bodied Muslim able to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price