‘8% rise in Haj pilgrims’
Mecca: There has been an 8 percent rise in the number of Haj pilgrims this season in comparison to the last time, Xinhua reported Saturday citing Saudi Arabian authorities.
Of the total 3,161,573 pilgrims, 64.3 percent are male while 35.7 percent are female, Saudi News Agency quoted a statistics and information department official as saying.
Pilgrims come from 107 countries during the season, the official added.
Haj is one of the largest pilgrimages in the world and is the fifth pillar of Islam, a religious duty which must be carried out at least once in lifetime by every able-bodied Muslim able to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Next steps for European Union after Brexit
- Libyan forces clash with militants in Sirte, 14 dead: Official
- Rahul Gandhi reacts to NSG setback: 'How to lose a negotiation by PM Narendra Modi'
- Pope denounces Armenian `genocide` in Yerevan visit
- University of Mumbai T.Y.B.Com Semester Six (75:25) Result 2016 declared on mu.ac.in