‘8% rise in Haj pilgrims’
Mecca: There has been an 8 percent rise in the number of Haj pilgrims this season in comparison to the last time, Xinhua reported Saturday citing Saudi Arabian authorities.
Of the total 3,161,573 pilgrims, 64.3 percent are male while 35.7 percent are female, Saudi News Agency quoted a statistics and information department official as saying.
Pilgrims come from 107 countries during the season, the official added.
Haj is one of the largest pilgrimages in the world and is the fifth pillar of Islam, a religious duty which must be carried out at least once in lifetime by every able-bodied Muslim able to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Dinesh Karthik sues automobile designer Dilip Chhabria: Report