83-year-old US nun to be sentenced for sabotage
Nashville: An 83-year-old Catholic nun convicted in a protest and break-in at the top US storehouse for bomb-grade uranium will find out today whether she spends what could be the rest of her life in prison.
Sister Megan Rice is one of three peace activists convicted of sabotage last year after they broke into the nuclear weapons plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
uraniumThe government has recommended sentences of about six to nine years each for Rice, Michael Walli and Greg Boertje-Obed.
The three cut through fences and painted slogans on the outside wall of the uranium processing plant. The protesters also splattered blood and hammered on the wall.
The activists are asking for leniency. They say their actions at the Y-12 National Security Complex were symbolic and meant to draw attention to America`s stockpile of nuclear weapons, which they call immoral and illegal.
"These people have been committed peace and justice advocates for decades," defence attorney Bill Quigley said.
He noted that there is no minimum sentence. The activists have been in prison since they were convicted in May, and it is possible that they could be sentenced to time served.
The activists have presented the judge with thousands of support letters from around the world, which Quigley called the greatest show of support he has seen in his two decades of working with protesters.
"I think that is mostly because of Sister Rice," he said. "She`s very well loved and has lots of people praying for her and supporting her."
One of the letters entered into the court record is from a nun in London, Sister Katharine Holmstrom.
"Your court faces a great challenge making a careful distinction between persons who act in clear conscience, guided by a moral vision, and others whose actions may be self-serving or maleficent in nature," she wrote to the judge.
Quigley said he has spoken with all three defendants, and they are prepared for the possibility of longer sentences. Rice turns 84 on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan