842,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UN
Beirut: The number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon has reached 842,000, a report by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said on Monday.
It charged that the aid agencies and the Lebanese government had pledged $1.7 billion to meet the needs of the Syrian refugees, but it has so far only received $842 million, reported Xinhua.
The report also said that the northeastern Bekaa region in Lebanon witnessed a large influx of Syrian refugees due to the intense battles ongoing in the border areas there.
Lebanon`s caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati Monday called on the international community to continue its support to the Beirut government and pleaded for an additional $1.85 billion to help his country shoulder the burden of the refugees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security