842,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UN
Beirut: The number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon has reached 842,000, a report by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said on Monday.
It charged that the aid agencies and the Lebanese government had pledged $1.7 billion to meet the needs of the Syrian refugees, but it has so far only received $842 million, reported Xinhua.
The report also said that the northeastern Bekaa region in Lebanon witnessed a large influx of Syrian refugees due to the intense battles ongoing in the border areas there.
Lebanon`s caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati Monday called on the international community to continue its support to the Beirut government and pleaded for an additional $1.85 billion to help his country shoulder the burden of the refugees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan