9 charged in USD 140 million NY fraud case
New York: Federal authorities in New York say nine people have been charged in a USD 140 million penny stock fraud investigation.
US Attorney Loretta Lynch announced the charges today. She told reporters that the international scheme is believed to be one of the largest penny stock frauds in history.
An indictment accuses the defendants of artificially inflating the value of worthless penny stocks and selling them to investors across the globe.
They also allegedly tricked the victims into paying to join phony lawsuits to recoup their losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar