9 charged in USD 140 million NY fraud case
New York: Federal authorities in New York say nine people have been charged in a USD 140 million penny stock fraud investigation.
US Attorney Loretta Lynch announced the charges today. She told reporters that the international scheme is believed to be one of the largest penny stock frauds in history.
An indictment accuses the defendants of artificially inflating the value of worthless penny stocks and selling them to investors across the globe.
They also allegedly tricked the victims into paying to join phony lawsuits to recoup their losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead