9 injured in suspected mafia attack in Tel Aviv
Jerusalem: A car bomb explosion near an army base in central Tel Aviv injured nine people in what police believes was an assassination attempt targeting a criminal syndicate.
Witnesses told Israel Radio that a motorcyclist approached the car on the corner of Menachem Begin Road and Shaul Hamelech Avenue and placed a bomb on it.
The device detonated shortly thereafter, causing the car to go up in flames.
Rescue agency paramedics said three people were slightly hurt in the incident, while six others suffered shock.
All of the injured were evacuated to Sourasky Medical Center in Tel Aviv.
The explosion went off on a crosswalk not far from the an Israel defence Forces base.
The windows of a bus that was traveling nearby got shattered from the force of the blast.
Police suspect that the attack could possibly be an assassination attempt against the Alperon crime family, a major mafia group in Tel Aviv.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY