9 killed in Brazil prison riot
Sao Paulo: A riot in an overcrowded prison in northeastern Brazil left nine inmates dead and 20 injured, officials said on Thursday.
Maranhao state officials earlier placed the death toll at least 10 and said 30 inmates had been injured in the uprising that broke out yesterday night. But a statement posted today on the government`s website lowered those numbers.
Maranhao state Public Safety chief Aluisio Mendes told reporters the uprising began yesterday night when guards discovered a tunnel that was to be used by 60 inmates to escape from the Pedrinhas Penitentiary in the state capital of Sao Luis.
He said prisoners set fire to mattresses to prevent guards from entering the cell where the entrance of the tunnel was located.
In the confusion, rival prison gangs started settling scores, attacking each other with makeshift knives and iron bars.
Authorities quelled the uprising early today morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!