9 killed in Brazil prison riot
Sao Paulo: A riot in an overcrowded prison in northeastern Brazil left nine inmates dead and 20 injured, officials said on Thursday.
Maranhao state officials earlier placed the death toll at least 10 and said 30 inmates had been injured in the uprising that broke out yesterday night. But a statement posted today on the government`s website lowered those numbers.
Maranhao state Public Safety chief Aluisio Mendes told reporters the uprising began yesterday night when guards discovered a tunnel that was to be used by 60 inmates to escape from the Pedrinhas Penitentiary in the state capital of Sao Luis.
He said prisoners set fire to mattresses to prevent guards from entering the cell where the entrance of the tunnel was located.
In the confusion, rival prison gangs started settling scores, attacking each other with makeshift knives and iron bars.
Authorities quelled the uprising early today morning.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory