9 killed in Brazil prison riot
Sao Paulo: A riot in an overcrowded prison in northeastern Brazil left nine inmates dead and 20 injured, officials said on Thursday.
Maranhao state officials earlier placed the death toll at least 10 and said 30 inmates had been injured in the uprising that broke out yesterday night. But a statement posted today on the government`s website lowered those numbers.
Maranhao state Public Safety chief Aluisio Mendes told reporters the uprising began yesterday night when guards discovered a tunnel that was to be used by 60 inmates to escape from the Pedrinhas Penitentiary in the state capital of Sao Luis.
He said prisoners set fire to mattresses to prevent guards from entering the cell where the entrance of the tunnel was located.
In the confusion, rival prison gangs started settling scores, attacking each other with makeshift knives and iron bars.
Authorities quelled the uprising early today morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice