9/11 audio tapes: Chilling glimpse of air horror
New York: Newly released audios in the
run-up to 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in
the US offer a chilling glimpse of just how unprepared the
country was for the air tragedy.
A chronicle of responses by civil and military aviation
to the 9/11 hijackings have now been published and include 114
recordings of air traffic controllers, military aviation
officers, airline and fighter jet pilots, as well as two of
the hijackers, covering two hours of the morning of September
The audio recordings had been prepared by investigators
for the 9/11 Commission, but were never completed or released,
a report in the New York Times said.
In a recording made just after 9 am, 16 minutes after the
first plane had hit the north tower of the World Trade Centre,
a radio transmission to the New York air traffic control radar
centre noted: "Hey, can you look out your window right now?"
the caller said.
"Yeah," the radar control manager said.
"Can you, can you see a guy at about 4,000 feet, about 5
east of the airport right now, looks like he`s ?" "Yeah, I see
him," the manager said.
"Do you see that guy, look, is he descending into the
building also?" the caller asked.
"He`s descending really quick too, yeah," the manager
"Forty-five hundred right now, he just dropped 800 feet
in like, like one, one sweep." "What kind of airplane is that,
can you guys tell?"
"I don’t know, I`ll read it out in a minute," the manager
But soon in the background were heard voices of people
shouting: "Another one just hit the building. Wow. Another one
just hit it hard. Another one just hit the World Trade."
"The whole building just came apart," the manager said.
The complete document with recordings is being published
for the first time by the Rutgers Law Review.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump