9/11 mastermind to mount defence against charges
Washington: Terror suspect Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who has boasted of masterminding the 9/11 attacks, may try to defend himself against charges that he orchestrated the worst terror attack in US history.
According to Express.co.uk, Khalid Sheikh, charged with four others with planning and helping to carry out the twin tower attacks in 2001, will be prosecuted on Saturday at the US military base in Cuba.
Mohammed had previously mocked the military tribunal and said he would welcome the death penalty.
His co-defendant, Ramzi Binalshibh, also told the court he was proud of the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
Jim Harrington, Binalshibh`s civilian lawyer, said that the defendants are expected to fight the charges against them, which includes murder and terrorism and carry a potential death penalty.
Harrington, however, declined to say what would be the basis of his defence.
Their indictment comes more than three years after the Obama administration failed to try the suspects in a federal civilian court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'