9/11 mastermind wants military uniform for Gitmo trial
Washington: Alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is seeking to wear military-style clothing at his upcoming war crimes trial in Guantanamo, according to one of his attorneys.
Mohammed has asked to wear a camouflage field jacket and camouflage turban with traditional Pakistani clothing as he goes on trial with four other men at the US base in Cuba on charges that include murder and terrorism.
He wanted to wear the items at his May 05 arraignment, but prison officials refused to allow it, CBS News reports.
They also rejected some clothing requested by other defendants as inappropriate for the military tribunal.
His defence team is, however, asking the judge to overrule that decision, arguing in newly released court papers that Mohammed is seeking to wear items customarily worn by members of a militia.
They also argue that not allowing him to wear those clothes violates his right to a fair trial.
“He`s being prosecuted for violating the laws of war in the context of hostilities,” the report quoted Army Captain Jason D Wright, a member of Mohammed`s Pentagon-appointed defence team, as saying.
“War crimes defendants during the Tokyo and Nuremberg tribunals apparently had a right to wear military-style clothing, and it`s unlikely that the US had a problem about Mohammad`s particular clothing when he was part of the US-backed mujahadeen in Afghanistan who fought the Soviets,” he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India