9/11 paved way for Arab Spring: Al Qaeda chief
Cairo: In a message today marking the
September 11 anniversary, al Qaeda’s new leader sought to
claim credit for this year`s Arab uprisings, saying the 2001
attacks on the United States paved the way for the "Arab
volcano" sweeping the region a decade later.
Ayman al-Zawahri and other al Qaeda figures have issued a
number of messages seeking to associate themselves with the
Arab uprisings that toppled autocratic leaders in his native
Egypt, as well as Tunisia and Libya, and which threaten
In the messages, they urge Arabs to replace toppled
regimes with Islamic rule.
The wave of unrest transforming the Middle East, however,
was largely the work of young, peaceful protesters seeking
democratic freedoms, and political observers say it showed the
failure of al Qaeda’s extremist ideology and how out of touch
the terror group is with Arab youth.
"By striking the head of the world criminal," al Qaeda
forced America to press its allies in the Middle East to
change their policies, which helped the "Arab volcano" to
build up and explode, al-Zawahri said in the hour-long audio
Al-Zawahri was Osama bin Laden`s deputy and became head
of al Qaeda in June after bin Laden`s death in the May 2 raid
by US Navy SEALs in Pakistan.
Al-Zawahri had a long history of fighting against Hosni
Mubarak`s rule in his home nation, leading militants who
carried out deadly bombing and shooting attacks in the 1990s.
Islamic militants considered the regimes of Mubarak and
other US-allied autocrats in the Middle East to be corrupt,
godless and too closely aligned with the West.
Their attacks were met with a crackdown by Mubarak`s
security forces that largely crushed their operations in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP