9/11 paved way for Arab Spring: Al Qaeda chief
Cairo: In a message today marking the
September 11 anniversary, al Qaeda’s new leader sought to
claim credit for this year`s Arab uprisings, saying the 2001
attacks on the United States paved the way for the "Arab
volcano" sweeping the region a decade later.
Ayman al-Zawahri and other al Qaeda figures have issued a
number of messages seeking to associate themselves with the
Arab uprisings that toppled autocratic leaders in his native
Egypt, as well as Tunisia and Libya, and which threaten
In the messages, they urge Arabs to replace toppled
regimes with Islamic rule.
The wave of unrest transforming the Middle East, however,
was largely the work of young, peaceful protesters seeking
democratic freedoms, and political observers say it showed the
failure of al Qaeda’s extremist ideology and how out of touch
the terror group is with Arab youth.
"By striking the head of the world criminal," al Qaeda
forced America to press its allies in the Middle East to
change their policies, which helped the "Arab volcano" to
build up and explode, al-Zawahri said in the hour-long audio
Al-Zawahri was Osama bin Laden`s deputy and became head
of al Qaeda in June after bin Laden`s death in the May 2 raid
by US Navy SEALs in Pakistan.
Al-Zawahri had a long history of fighting against Hosni
Mubarak`s rule in his home nation, leading militants who
carried out deadly bombing and shooting attacks in the 1990s.
Islamic militants considered the regimes of Mubarak and
other US-allied autocrats in the Middle East to be corrupt,
godless and too closely aligned with the West.
Their attacks were met with a crackdown by Mubarak`s
security forces that largely crushed their operations in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Militants kill cop, snatch weapon from another in Kashmir
- Arms training: Bajrang Dal's Ayodhya chief Mahesh Mishra arrested over charges of inciting religious hatred
- Left, Congress call for people's movement against Trinamool 'terror'
- SP main rival in UP polls, not decided on CM face: Amit Shah
- Pope prays to 'convert hearts' of Islamic State jihadists