9/11 permanently changed American lives: Poll
Washington: Ten years after the 9/11 terror attacks, 58 percent Americans believe that the tragedy fundamentally altered the way they live with 28 percent saying they have permanently changed, according to a new poll.
In the 10 years since the attacks, there has been no decrease in the percentage of Americans who say they have permanently changed the way they live their own lives, an August 11-14 USA Today/Gallup poll found.
However, women (33 percent) are more likely than men (23 percent) to say they have permanently changed the way they live.
Also, those in the East (71 percent) are more likely than those in other regions of the country to think Americans have changed the way they live (59 percent in the West, 54 percent in the Midwest, and 50 percent in the South).
Substantial minorities of Americans in a separate USA Today/Gallup poll, conducted July 15-17, say they are now less willing to travel overseas (38 percent), attend events where there are thousands of people (27 percent), fly on airplanes (24 percent), or go into skyscrapers (20 percent) as a result of the 9/11 terror attacks.
One thing that has changed in the last 10 years is that Americans are less likely to express reluctance to engage in activities that could make them vulnerable to terrorist attacks, including flying, travelling overseas, and going into skyscrapers, the poll found.
However, substantial minorities of Americans maintain they are less willing to do these things than they were before the attacks occurred, though the extent to which Americans have actually cut back in these areas remains unclear, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says