9/11 photo on Canadian posters angers NY fire department
Toronto: The New York City fire department, which lost 341 firefighters on 9/11, has slammed a Canadian politician for using graphic images of the world`s worst terror attack on her publicity posters for her annual fundraising event.
Nancy Heppner, the Minister for Environment in Canada`s Saskatchewan province, used the picture of the World Trade Centre’s south tower taken just after hijackers flew United Airlines Flight 175 into it, on posters for her fundraiser. The Canadian minister used the 9/11 picture on her invitation posters because the event was being attended by New York firefighter chief Richard Picciotto, the highest-ranking firefighter pulled from the rubble of the World Trade Centre, reports here said.
When the offending poster came to the attention of the Fire Department of New York (FDNY), it criticised the Canadian politician for using the tragedy to publicise her event. Calling the use of the image `in bad taste’, FDNY spokesman Frank Dwyer said, "The FDNY hopes that no one ever forgets what happened on September 11.”
"However, we do think that the use of images of the attacks for political or monetary gain, like the image on this poster, is in bad taste.``
The US media has a self-imposed code not to use 9/11 images as they may open wounds of the victims` families.
After her criticism by the New York fire department, the Canadian minister apologised on Friday, saying, "If somebody is offended, that was not what we were hoping or planning for and if that`s the case, then obviously we`re sorry for that."
The invited New York firefighter, who knew nothing about the use of 9/11 photos on invitation posters, said people should be sensitive about using the images of the tragedy.
The minister also came in for criticism from the opposition New Democratic Party which called the use of 9/11 images to do fundraising "tasteless and lacks judgment”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola