9/11 plotter Sheikh Mohammed may face death penalty
Washington: Self-proclaimed mastermind of the September 11 terror attacks Khalid Sheikh Mohammed faces a potential death sentence after being charged with the murder of thousands of US citizens.
In what has been trailed as ‘the trial of the century’, Mohammed and four alleged co-conspirators will soon stand accused of committing multiple counts of terrorism, hijacking and murder in violation of the law of war by devising the era-defining attacks on the US soil.
They will be tried by military tribunal at the Guantánamo Bay naval base in Cuba, The Telegraph reports.
According to a Defence Department statement, the charges allege that the five accused were responsible for the planning and execution of the attacks of September 11, 2001, in New York and Washington DC, and Shanksville, Pennsylvania, resulting in the killing of 2,976 people.
Mohammed, a 46-year-old Kuwaiti long known by US officials as ‘KSM’, has been held at the base``s Camp Delta prison for the past six years.
He is alleged to have confessed that he was he ‘was responsible for the 9/11 operation from A to Z’ after extensive interrogation.
Mohammed will appear in court at the base for arraignment within 30 days, alongside Saudi Arabians Walid bin Attash and Mustafa al-Hawsawi, Ramzi bin al-Shibh of Yemen and Pakistani Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself