A dhow capsizes off Oman, Indian sailors rescued
Dubai: Nine Indian sailors on board of a dhow which capsized in the sea between the UAE and Oman were rescued and taken to Salalah port in Oman, a media report said Sunday.
The sailors, from the Indian state of Gujarat, reached the port safely Friday, reported the Times of Oman.
The dhow, Tajudin Baba, was on its way to the port of Bossaso in northeast Somalia carrying business consignment for Somalia`s Puntland traders when it capsized Sep 21.
The sailors, who floated about in the sea waters on planks, for almost six days were later rescued by another dhow, Al Sultana Madina.
Captain Yunus said Tajudin Baba overturned due to heavy winds and massive sea waves.
According to the report, the dhow was loaded with food items, vehicles, construction equipment and other commodities, and left the port of Shariqa in the UAE Sep 18.
"The dhow hit a large object, and later disintegrated, leaving us in trouble. Meanwhile, the crew of Al Sulthana Madina spotted us and rescued us," Yunus said.
"After the paper work is completed, we will travel on board the Al Sulthana Madina back to India," Yunus added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation