`A female Dalai Lama will be more attractive`
Toronto: The Dalai Lama, who wound up his three-day visit here by leading prayers at the newly opened Tibetan cultural centre, doesn`t rule out a female successor.
The purpose of the Dalal Lama`s reincarnation is to serve the Buddha, the 14th Dalai Lama told a week-end audience of more than 15,000 at the city` Rogers Centre.
"If a female reincarnation is more useful - why not?" he retorted when asked if the next Dalai Lama could be a female.
In his typical jovial style, he explained the two advantages of having a female Dalai Lama.
The first advantage, he said, is that females are "biologically more sensitive about others` pain`` than males.
The other advantage of having a female Dalai Lama is that she would be a lot more attractive than him, he said amid peels of laugher.
The spiritual and temporal head of the Tibetans said he was now looking for retirement after his long innings at the helm. "I am looking forward to complete retirement. If I have human rights, I should have the right to retire,`` he said, letting off his trademark infectious laugh.
Giving an assessment of himself, the 75-year-old pontiff joked, "I am certainly not the best Dalai Lama of the 14, and certainly not the worst. But I am a popular Dalai Lama.``
Speaking on "Human Approaches to Peace”,` the Dalai Lama said amid laughter that peace will not "drop from the sky. We should create some visions (on) how to build a healthy world.`` He said peace can be ushered in only through dialogue. But unfortunately in the century gone by, he said, governments resorted to violence to settle differences.
Referring to his own plight at the hands of the Chinese, he said, "At 16, I lost my freedom, at the age of 24 I lost my own country. Now, at 75, what I learned is the power of talk. In the spirit of dialogue, you can`t have one side that is defeated and one side win. Open your hearts; consider others.``
The Dalai Lama also opened the local Tibetan Canadian Cultural Centre where about 5,000 people, mostly Tibetans, prayed for his long life and sought his blessings Sunday.
The Dalai Lama is an honorary citizen of Canada where about 5,000 Tibetans live.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27