A US war veteran dies by suicide every 80 mins
Washington: A study shows that an American war veteran commits suicide every 80 minutes.
According to a Centre for a New American Security Suicide report cited by The Huffington Post, military suicides have gone up since the beginning of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
As per the figures made available by armytimes.com, 1,868 veterans of these wars have made suicide attempts in the fiscal year 2009 alone.
Authors Dr Margaret C Harrell and Nancy Berglass concluded: "America is losing its battle against suicide by veterans and service members…And as more troops return from deployment, the risk will only grow."
Many veterans report feeling aimless upon returning home when faced with the stigma of post-traumatic stress disorder, unemployment rates tipping 12 percent and a loss of the military camaraderie.
Launched in 2007, the Veterans Crisis Line has fielded over 400,000 calls and has saved more than 14,000 lives, according to the Veterans Affairs mental health website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users