A US war veteran dies by suicide every 80 mins
Washington: A study shows that an American war veteran commits suicide every 80 minutes.
According to a Centre for a New American Security Suicide report cited by The Huffington Post, military suicides have gone up since the beginning of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
As per the figures made available by armytimes.com, 1,868 veterans of these wars have made suicide attempts in the fiscal year 2009 alone.
Authors Dr Margaret C Harrell and Nancy Berglass concluded: "America is losing its battle against suicide by veterans and service members…And as more troops return from deployment, the risk will only grow."
Many veterans report feeling aimless upon returning home when faced with the stigma of post-traumatic stress disorder, unemployment rates tipping 12 percent and a loss of the military camaraderie.
Launched in 2007, the Veterans Crisis Line has fielded over 400,000 calls and has saved more than 14,000 lives, according to the Veterans Affairs mental health website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown