Abbas expects US pressure on Israel to resume peace talks
Ramallah: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas expects that the US would exercise pressure on Israel to accept resuming peace talks on the basis of a two-state solution, a Palestinian official said Thursday, reported Xinhua.
Abbas wants Washington to put "serious" pressure on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to endorse the two-state solution based on the pre-1967 border lines, with the slight exchange of land, the official told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Abbas has briefed US Secretary of State John Kerry during the latter`s visit to the region on proposals to revive the peace talks, which have suspended since 2010, said the official.
The Arab League`s recent stance, namely accepting an equal, limited and agreeable land swap between Israel and the Palestinians, was a result of the understandings reached between Abbas and Kerry during their recent meetings in the West Bank city of Ramallah, he added.
Peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians came to a halt in 2010 over Israeli settlement construction in the West Bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof