Abbas, Lula hold talks on Middle East
Salvador: Brazil`s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva received Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas here for the first in a series of discussions on forging peace in the Middle East, the Foreign Ministry has said.
Abbas` travels here come as Brazil steps up its peacemaker role in the Middle East. Brazil last week hosted Israeli President Shimon Peres for a four-day visit, and next week was expected to welcome Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
The Brazilian President has cordial relations with Ahmadinejad at a time when he has been shunned by much of the international community for its suspect nuclear programme.
Brazil, unlike much of the rest of the world, maintains that Iran has a right to peaceful atomic energy and opposes further sanctions on Tehran.
In his meetings with Abbas, Lula was expected to reaffirm his support for an intervention by the international community that could lead eventually to the peace agreement that has eluded the region despite decades of diplomacy.
Last week, Abbas -- who has hinted he may resign over the impasse of peace efforts so far -- renewed his demand that Israel stop its settlement construction in the occupied West Bank, including east Jerusalem.
Abbas and Lula also were expected to sign a technical cooperation agreement during their meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery