Abbas, Lula hold talks on Middle East
Salvador: Brazil`s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva received Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas here for the first in a series of discussions on forging peace in the Middle East, the Foreign Ministry has said.
Abbas` travels here come as Brazil steps up its peacemaker role in the Middle East. Brazil last week hosted Israeli President Shimon Peres for a four-day visit, and next week was expected to welcome Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
The Brazilian President has cordial relations with Ahmadinejad at a time when he has been shunned by much of the international community for its suspect nuclear programme.
Brazil, unlike much of the rest of the world, maintains that Iran has a right to peaceful atomic energy and opposes further sanctions on Tehran.
In his meetings with Abbas, Lula was expected to reaffirm his support for an intervention by the international community that could lead eventually to the peace agreement that has eluded the region despite decades of diplomacy.
Last week, Abbas -- who has hinted he may resign over the impasse of peace efforts so far -- renewed his demand that Israel stop its settlement construction in the occupied West Bank, including east Jerusalem.
Abbas and Lula also were expected to sign a technical cooperation agreement during their meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon