Abbas, Peres held ‘four secret meetings’
Ramallah: Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas revealed he held four secret meetings with Israeli President Shimon Peres in a bid to revive stalled peace talks, a Palestinian official said Saturday.
He quoted Abbas as saying at a meeting of his Fatah party on Friday that: “I met Shimon Peres four times in Amman and London in an attempt to restart negotiations and the peace process on a correct foundation.”
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, added that Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had thwarted those efforts.
“Shimon Peres assured me that the negotiations between us could lead to results that could be adopted by the Netanyahu government,” the official quoted Abbas as saying.
“After the first four meetings, a fifth was scheduled in Amman, but Shimon Peres apologised and said, ‘I’m sorry but the government does not accept that we negotiate and I cannot do anything’,” Abbas said at the Friday gathering, according to the official.
Israeli media reported in early August the cancellation of a planned secret meeting in Amman between Abbas and Peres after Netanyahu’s refusal to give the President a clear mandate for negotiations.
A spokesman for the Israeli President, whose post is largely symbolic and ceremonial, declined comment.
In the absence of negotiations, the Palestinians are to present their bid for United Nations membership on September 20, Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Malki said on Saturday, a move firmly opposed by Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital