Abbas urges US to respond to Israeli settlements
Ramallah: Palestinian president Mahmud
Abbas called on the US administration on Monday to "respond" to
the continuation of Israeli settlement activity after indirect
peace talks were launched.
"The American administration must respond to those
Israeli acts," he said, adding that Washington had promised to
the Palestinians a halt to Jewish settlement in the West Bank,
including annexed Arab east Jerusalem.
"It must respond," he said. The US State Department said yesterday both sides were
taking measures "conducive to successful talks," and that
Israel had explained there would be no construction at east
Jerusalem`s Ramat Shlomo settlement for two years.
But Israel insisted it had made no commitment to freeze
settlement activity in east Jerusalem.
The announcement earlier this year that 1,600 settler
homes would be built at Rama Shlomo held up the start of the
talks, whose launch was eventually announced yesterday.
Israel said it is normal procedure for construction at
Ramat Shlomo to start a few years after the initial plan was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest