Abbas voices frustration over Israel peace talks
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu is stalling over the indirect talks with the
Palestinians, president Mahmud Abbas charged in remarks
published by several Israeli newspapers on Thursday.
"We haven`t received from Netanyahu even a single sign
that might indicate progress" in the US-backed proximity
talks, Abbas was quoted as saying by the Maariv daily.
"He has completely ignored everything we`ve raised," the
paper quoted him as saying in comments made to Israeli
journalists from four newspapers who spent the evening at his
West Bank headquarters in Ramallah.
The indirect talks, which began on May 9 and are
scheduled to take four months, are regarded as a first step
towards renewing direct negotiations which collapsed in
December 2008 when Israel launched a devastating 22-day
offensive on Gaza.
Abbas said that the core issues being discussed at the
talks with US Middle East envoy George Mitchell were borders
and security -- issues on which an agreement was crucial if
the two sides were to begin direct talks.
"As soon as there is progress we`ll shift to direct
talks, but up until now we haven`t received even a single sign
that might indicate progress on those issues," he said.
His remarks were reiterated today during talks in
Ramallah with Mitchell, chief negotiator Saeb Erakat said.
"President Abbas told Mitchell there would not be any
move to direct negotiations without progress on the questions
of security and borders, and in particular, without Israel
recognising the borders of the Palestinian lands it occupied
in 1967," Erakat said.
Abbas also insisted Israel put an end to the demolition
of Palestinian homes in Arab east Jerusalem and stop its
practice of revoking ID cards of those living in the occupied
and annexed sector of the Holy City, Erakat said.
Abbas` three-hour interview with the Israeli press,
which included dinner, was portrayed in the newspapers as an
attempt to appeal directly to the Israeli public in the
absence of concrete progress in the negotiations.
"Now I tell you Israelis -- don`t miss the opportunity
the Arab League has offered you with its peace initiative," he
was quoted as saying by the Haaretz daily. "Don`t let me lose
The so-called Arab peace initiative, which was presented
by Saudi Arabia in 2002, offers Israel full normalisation of
ties in return for its withdrawal from occupied Arab land and
the creation of a Palestinian state.
Abbas also said he had reached a number of significant
agreements on borders and security with former premier Ehud
Olmert with the two drawing up a number of maps and documents
-- all of which had been passed on to Mitchell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt