Abe decides not to station officials at disputed Senkaku Islands
Tokyo: Japan’s incoming Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has decided not to station officials on the Senkaku Islands to avoid further aggravating ties with China.
Abe, who won with a landslide in last week’s general election, said during campaigning that the party would consider permanently posting officials on the uninhabited Senkaku Islands to strengthen Japan’s control over the island chain, which is also claimed by China and Taiwan.
According to the Japan Times, despite the flip-flop, however, Abe told reporters that ‘there is no change in the country’s thinking’ about stationing officials on the East China Sea islands.
He said that the bilateral relationship with China is one of Japan’s most crucial diplomatic policies’.
He added that the country wants to make efforts to reset ties and start developing a mutually reciprocal relationship (with Beijing).
Abe pledged to take a tough stance over the dispute, but has been toning down his hawkish rhetoric since winning the Lower House election, the report said.
Chinese vessels have been moving in and out of Japanese territorial waters near the Senkaku Islands since the government purchased a major portion of them in mid-September from a private owner, the report added.
Abe is intending to send LDP Vice President Masahiko Komura, head of the Diet Members League for Friendship of Japan and China, as a special envoy to Beijing, given his ties with Chinese officials, according to sources familiar with the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant