Abe decides not to station officials at disputed Senkaku Islands
Tokyo: Japan’s incoming Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has decided not to station officials on the Senkaku Islands to avoid further aggravating ties with China.
Abe, who won with a landslide in last week’s general election, said during campaigning that the party would consider permanently posting officials on the uninhabited Senkaku Islands to strengthen Japan’s control over the island chain, which is also claimed by China and Taiwan.
According to the Japan Times, despite the flip-flop, however, Abe told reporters that ‘there is no change in the country’s thinking’ about stationing officials on the East China Sea islands.
He said that the bilateral relationship with China is one of Japan’s most crucial diplomatic policies’.
He added that the country wants to make efforts to reset ties and start developing a mutually reciprocal relationship (with Beijing).
Abe pledged to take a tough stance over the dispute, but has been toning down his hawkish rhetoric since winning the Lower House election, the report said.
Chinese vessels have been moving in and out of Japanese territorial waters near the Senkaku Islands since the government purchased a major portion of them in mid-September from a private owner, the report added.
Abe is intending to send LDP Vice President Masahiko Komura, head of the Diet Members League for Friendship of Japan and China, as a special envoy to Beijing, given his ties with Chinese officials, according to sources familiar with the matter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know