Abe`s tour aims to restart territorial talks, enhance economic ties with Russia
Beijing: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe started his Russia visit among a four-nation trip in an effort to revive long-stalled territorial talks with Russia, promote mutual trust and enhance the two countries`cooperation in all areas, especially in economy.
Abe, the first Japanese prime minister to visit Russia in 10 years, will hold talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying his visit is a chance to "build personal trust with Putin" and "to restart the bilateral talks for a peace treaty" to resolve territorial disputes.
Japan and Russia are in a row over a series of islands off Japan`s Hokkaido. The dispute prevents the two countries from signing a peace treaty since the end of World War II.
A joint statement would be released after the meeting between the two leaders, local media said the statement will focus on the revival of talks on the peace treaty, citing officials from Abe`s delegation.
Meanwhile, the statement is also expected to emphasize the improvement of bilateral high-level communication, such as "two- plus-two" talks between the two countries` foreign and defense ministers.
If the framework is put into place, it will be the third such mechanism for Japan, following similar regimes with the United States and Australia.
During the visit, the two countries would also discuss bilateral security cooperation and exchange views on regional affairs such as nuclear issues of the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea.
Leaders of about 40 Japanese companies were also in Abe`s delegation, showing the prime minister`s eagerness to boost his country`s investment so as to spur Japan`s sluggish economy.
Russia, a country with rich energy resources, is an important energy exporter for Japan, which multiplied its appetite for fossil energies such as coal and natural gas since its nuclear plants were shut down following Fukushima Daiichi nuclear accident.
The joint statement would also map out the blueprint of Japan- Russia economic cooperation, especially in the energy area and the development of Russia`s Far East region, through both governmental and civil channels, local media said.
The businessmen are expected to hold talks with Russian entrepreneurs and local government officials on medical, energy and agricultural cooperation.
Besides Russia, Abe`s weeklong trip will also cover Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Turkey in a move to secure Japan`s energy imports and implement Abe`s economic diplomacy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened