Abortion activists sent letters in blood to Irish PM
Dublin: Ireland`s Prime Minister says anti-abortion activists in the predominantly Catholic country have inundated his office with threatening packages and letters branding him a murderer, some written in blood.
Enda Kenny made the declaration on Wednesday as his government prepared to publish a bill that would legalize abortions in exceptional cases where doctors deem the woman`s life is in danger from continued pregnancy. Anti-abortion activists insist the proposed law would lead eventually to widespread abortion.
Ireland is one of two European Union members, alongside Malta, that outlaws abortion. Ireland has faced rising pressure to clarify its law on life-saving abortions following the death last year in a hospital of a Indian woman who suffered blood poisoning during a grueling miscarriage.
The government plans to publish an experts` report into that death on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre