About 6,000 possible phone hack victims: UK police
The acknowledgment that hundreds of potential victims had been missed by police is a further embarrassment for London police.
London: British police increased their estimate on Thursday of potential phone hacking victims of the News of the World tabloid to 5,795 people.
The acknowledgment that hundreds of potential victims had been missed by police is a further embarrassment for London`s police force, whose reputation has been tarnished by its failure to get to grips with the scandal.
Two of the force`s most senior officers have resigned amid criticism they ignored clear evidence of systematic wrongdoing at the now defunct newspaper, which had belonged to Rupert Murdoch`s media empire.
In a statement, London`s Metropolitan Police said it had identified 5,795 names in the material collected from Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator at the centre of the scandal — compared to the roughly 4,000 names which police earlier said had been found in the notes.
The force suggested the total could still grow, saying the figure was "very likely to be revised in the future as a result of further analysis”.
It added that it was still not possible to put a precise figure on the number of people whose phones had actually been broken into.