Abu Dhabi to host renewable energy meet
Dubai: In order to facilitate the widespread
global adoption of renewable energy technology, Abu Dhabi is
to host the International Renewable Energy Conference (IREC),
that will see participation from government, civil society and
The venue was announced at the closing ceremony of the
Delhi International Renewable Energy Conference (DIREC), where
Abu Dhabi was chosen for the global platform, due to its
investments, initiatives and dedication toward the development
and deployment of renewable and clean energy technologies.
Building on the success of DIREC 2010 and the previous
events in Washington in 2008, Beijing in 2005 and Bonn in 2004
ADIREC will attract prominent ministers, policy specialists
and industry thought leaders from around the globe.
The date of the Abu Dhabi event was not part of the
The Emirate is also the headquarters of the International
Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), the international
governmental organisation mandated to facilitate widespread
renewable energy development and expansion.
The Abu Dhabi International Renewable Energy Conference
(ADIREC) will be held simultaneously and co-located with the
World Future Energy Summit, the annual event in Abu Dhabi that
gathers more than 25,000 renewable energy and environment
representatives from around the world to address and advance
sustainable energy solutions.
ADIREC will be the fifth in the series of the ministerial
level IREC conferences that carry on the mission of the 2002
World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, which
is to bolster, coordinate and accelerate political momentum to
foster renewable energy growth.
"Abu Dhabi`s selection as the host of the next IREC is a
testament to the significant strides being taken by our
leadership to pursue clean energy solutions and address the
challenges of climate change," said Dr Sultan Al Jaber, Masdar
CEO and Special Envoy for Energy and Climate Change of the
Ministers and Government Representatives from around 71
countries participated in the DIREC.
Abu Dhabi is developing an unprecedented low-carbon city,
the Arab world`s first national renewable energy target and
are investing in renewable energy, both within Abu Dhabi and
around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...