Abu Qatada could walk free on bail within days
London: UK hate cleric and terror suspect Abu Qatada could be released from jail within days after he filed a new bail application in the UK.
Qatada`s bail application, filed by his lawyers, will be heard on May 28.
The latest move comes after it was revealed that almost GBP three million has been spent in legal fees to kick the radical cleric out of Britain.
"We believe Qatada poses a real risk to national security and will continue vigorously to resist any application for him to be bailed," Express.co.uk quoted a Home Office spokeswoman as saying.
Qatada, described as Osama bin Laden`s right-hand in Europe, is being represented by human rights lawyers Gareth Peirce and Edward Fitzgerald QC.
Security expert Patrick Mercer said: "I`m sick to death of this man wasting taxpayers` money. We need to see the back of him."
He is fighting deportation to his native country Jordan over terror charges.
Labour MP Ian Davidson said: "The Government has got to take decisive action before this man and his lawyers bleed us all to death."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company
- Some 6,500 migrants rescued off Libya: Coastguard
- Mitsubishi Motors overstated fuel economy on eight more models - Nikkei