Abu Qatada pleads `not guilty` to Jordan terror charges
Amman: Islamist cleric Abu Qutada pleaded not guilty today to terror charges pressed by Jordanian military prosecutors just hours after his deportation from Britain, his lawyer said.
Reporters were not allowed into the courtroom to hear the charges being read out despite a pledge by Information Minister Mohammad Momani of "transparency" in Jordan`s handling of Abu Qatada`s retrial on charges that already earned him a life sentence in his absence.
"State security court prosecutors charged Abu Qatada with conspiracy to carry our terrorist acts," a judicial official said.
"He was remanded in judicial custody for 15 days in the Muwaqqar prison," in eastern Jordan, the official added without elaborating.
But Abu Qatada`s lawyer Taysir Diab said he would make a bail application tomorrow in light of the not guilty plea.
"Abu Qatada pleaded not guilty. I will appeal tomorrow to the court to release him on bail," Diab said.
Jordanian law gives Abu Qatada the right to a retrial with him present in the dock following his deportation from Britain earlier today which ended a decade-long legal battle.
Abu Qatada was condemned to death in absentia in 1999 for conspiracy to carry out terror attacks, including on the American school in Amman, but the sentence was immediately commuted to life imprisonment with hard labour.
In 2000, he was sentenced in his absence to 15 years for plotting to carry out terror attacks on tourists in Jordan during millennium celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’