Abuse victims receive threats in Brazil: Official
Brasilia: A Brazilian official said on Friday that three former altar boys who accused a Roman Catholic priest of sexual abuse have received threats and are under police protection.
The three were threatened after they denounced Monsignor Luiz Marques Barbosa for allegedly molesting former altar boys in northeastern Alagoas state, according to an adviser to the Senate paedophilia commission.
Commission adviser Renato Paoliello said a different priest — also accused of having sexual relations with minors, but who is collaborating with investigators — also is under police protection after being threatened.
Paoliello did not describe the threats.
Police and the Senate commission are investigating the allegations against Barbosa, 83, who is under house arrest. Prosecutors will decide whether to file charges.
A video showing Barbosa having sex with one of the former alter boys was broadcast on television last month.
The alter boy is now a young man, and Barbosa testified to a Senate commission that he had sex with him only after he had reached adulthood. Barbosa has denied having sex with any underage alter boys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!
- Pakistan to host West Indies for pink ball Test in UAE