Abuse victims receive threats in Brazil: Official
Brasilia: A Brazilian official said on Friday that three former altar boys who accused a Roman Catholic priest of sexual abuse have received threats and are under police protection.
The three were threatened after they denounced Monsignor Luiz Marques Barbosa for allegedly molesting former altar boys in northeastern Alagoas state, according to an adviser to the Senate paedophilia commission.
Commission adviser Renato Paoliello said a different priest — also accused of having sexual relations with minors, but who is collaborating with investigators — also is under police protection after being threatened.
Paoliello did not describe the threats.
Police and the Senate commission are investigating the allegations against Barbosa, 83, who is under house arrest. Prosecutors will decide whether to file charges.
A video showing Barbosa having sex with one of the former alter boys was broadcast on television last month.
The alter boy is now a young man, and Barbosa testified to a Senate commission that he had sex with him only after he had reached adulthood. Barbosa has denied having sex with any underage alter boys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 43 civilians dead in bombardment of Syria rebel-held areas: Report
- Rain, traffic jam and kisses - This couple hogged the limelight on Delhi road: Watch
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Axe for Steven Finn, Jake Ball as hosts seek to level series
- MHA counters Delhi govt's claims on bureaucrats
- Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel engaged to supermodel Miranda Kerr