Accident at US nuclear plant: One killed, three hurt
Russellville (US): One worker died and three others were injured in the morning today when a heavy piece of equipment fell on them at an Arkansas nuclear plant, officials said.
The workers were moving the equipment from the turbine building at an Entergy Arkansas plant in Russellville, about 113-km northwest of Little Rock. The three injured workers were taken to a hospital. The company stressed that there is no danger to the public.
The Arkansas Nuclear One plant provides about 30 per cent of the state`s energy demand, according to Entergy.
"We are deeply saddened by what has happened today," said Jeff Forbes, Entergy`s chief nuclear officer. "Our greatest sympathy is with the family and friends of the employee who lost his life, and with those who sustained injuries."
Entergy`s two nuclear reactors were shut down after the accident.
The plant was placed under an "unusual event classification", which is the lowest of four emergency classifications designated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Entergy provides electricity to 2.8 million customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Terrifying video: Chinese woman mauled to death by tiger at Badaling Wildlife Park
- Congress MP moves privilege motion against Naqvi in RS
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav doping scandal: He can't do something like this, says Yogeshwar Dutt
- Preparing for your dream job? Opt for an in-person interview
- Maruti Q1 profit soars 23% to Rs 1,486 crore