Accident at US nuclear plant: One killed, three hurt
Russellville (US): One worker died and three others were injured in the morning today when a heavy piece of equipment fell on them at an Arkansas nuclear plant, officials said.
The workers were moving the equipment from the turbine building at an Entergy Arkansas plant in Russellville, about 113-km northwest of Little Rock. The three injured workers were taken to a hospital. The company stressed that there is no danger to the public.
The Arkansas Nuclear One plant provides about 30 per cent of the state`s energy demand, according to Entergy.
"We are deeply saddened by what has happened today," said Jeff Forbes, Entergy`s chief nuclear officer. "Our greatest sympathy is with the family and friends of the employee who lost his life, and with those who sustained injuries."
Entergy`s two nuclear reactors were shut down after the accident.
The plant was placed under an "unusual event classification", which is the lowest of four emergency classifications designated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Entergy provides electricity to 2.8 million customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?