Accused Cole bomber`s Gitmo hearing put on hold
Guantanamo Bay Naval Base (Cuba): A military judge at Guantanamo has been forced to put in the USS Cole bombing case on hold because of a dispute over whether the accused has to be in court.
Prosecutors want the judge to require that Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri attend all sessions of court, including this week`s pretrial hearing in the case.
They at least want al-Nashiri questioned in open court to make sure there are no questions raised later about his absence from court.
The defense in the case say that forcing al-Nashiri out of his cell and into court would traumatize him because he has been subjected to torture while in US custody in the past.
The judge heard arguments on the issue for more than 90 minutes today before ruling that al-Nashiri must return to court tomorrow to ensure he understands his rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown