Accused Cole bomber`s Gitmo hearing put on hold
Guantanamo Bay Naval Base (Cuba): A military judge at Guantanamo has been forced to put in the USS Cole bombing case on hold because of a dispute over whether the accused has to be in court.
Prosecutors want the judge to require that Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri attend all sessions of court, including this week`s pretrial hearing in the case.
They at least want al-Nashiri questioned in open court to make sure there are no questions raised later about his absence from court.
The defense in the case say that forcing al-Nashiri out of his cell and into court would traumatize him because he has been subjected to torture while in US custody in the past.
The judge heard arguments on the issue for more than 90 minutes today before ruling that al-Nashiri must return to court tomorrow to ensure he understands his rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional