Accused Fort Hood shooter banned from praying in Arabic
San Antonio: Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan, who is charged in a deadly shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas, has been prohibited from praying in Arabic, his lawyer
Major Hasan was reading passages from the Koran in Arabic over the telephone with one of his brothers when a military police officer stopped him, said attorney John
"One of the police officers came in and told him he couldn`t do that," said Galligan, a former US military judge.
"They told him he couldn`t speak in Arabic. Personally, I think that`s a violation of his religious rights."
Hasan, who is paralysed from the chest down and is being held pending trial at the Brooke Army Medical Centre in San Antonio, is allowed to pray in English.
Hasan is being investigated for links to Islamic extremism, including his contacts with a radical cleric who blessed the killing spree.
Officials have said it seemed Hasan was motivated by his opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and his refusal to fight other Muslims.
He faces 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof