Act meaningfully against China policies: Tibet to US
Washington: A member of Tibetan Parliament-in-exile has asked the US to take meaningful action against the oppressive Chinese policies in Tibet during the forthcoming meetings of the UN Human Rights Council.
Writing to Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton ahead of the September 02 launch of the "Flame of Truth" relay in Washington, Tashi N Khamshitsang, a member of the Tibetan Parliament-in-exile, said the Tibetans in Tibet and in exile are struggling for international attention against Chinese oppression.
"We have not given up. But we cannot allow the terrible sacrifice of so many young Tibetans go answered. At this critical moment, we appeal for your help," Tashi said, asking the US to "take meaningful action against the oppressive Chinese policies in Tibet".
"We ask that US officials support vigorous engagement between mandate holders and Chinese authorities, including pressing for visits to Tibet by Special Rapporteurs, as much of Tibet is effectively closed to outside observers," Tashi said.
"We understand that UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay is negotiating a trip to China and we urge you to support the inclusion of Tibet in her itinerary," Tashi wrote.
As of today, 49 Tibetans have set themselves on fire to protest China`s restrictive policies in Tibet, many calling for freedom for Tibet and return of the Dalai Lama, he said.
Identical letters have been written to Hillary and the leadership of the US House of Representatives and the Senate.
The letter comes ahead of the launch of the US leg of the Flame of Truth Relay, which started from Dharamshala on July 06, with the purpose of carrying the message of the Tibetans to the world - including 49 Tibetan self-immolations since February 2009 - and to urge an appropriate response from the United Nations to the current crisis.
The North America leg of the relay begins in two segments from Washington DC and Ottawa on September 02, the 52nd anniversary of Tibetan Democracy Day, which commemorates the first election of a representative body in Tibet`s history -- the Commission of Tibetan People`s Deputies - instituted in exile on September 2, 1960.
The torch will pass through major North American cities.
As part of the Flame of Truth initiative the Tibetan-Parliament-in-Exile has urged that the United Nations must discuss the issue of Tibet and send an independent international team to investigate the situation in Tibet.
The United Nations must take special responsibility to ensure that the basic aspirations of the Tibetans inside Tibet are fulfilled, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly