Act now to stop the `slaughter` in Syria: UN chief
Aleppo: Amid escalating violence, UN chief Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday urged the world to stop the ‘slaughter’ in Syria.
"I make a plea to the world: `Do not delay... Act now to stop the slaughter in Syria`," the UN secretary-general said.
His plea came after the UN said it had pulled half of its troubled observer mission from Syria.
Earlier in the day, Syrian government reportedly pulled out troops from the border with Turkey to fight against rebels in the second city of Aleppo.
There were also reports of troops are marching to Aleppo to step up the attacks against rebel fighters.
UN Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Herve Ladsous said that the situation in Syria remains the utmost concern of the UN Security Council while half of the UN observers have returned home.
Meanwhile, the Turkish government is closing all its checkpoints on the Syrian border, Customs and Trade Minister Hayati Yazici said.
Syrian insurgents have launched frequent attacks in the last few days at its border points, including near the Iraqi border.
In an attempt to attain peace, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi also called for a peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis and renewed Iran`s call for the Syrian government and opposition to hold talks, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'