Activist artist goes on trial in China
Beijing: A Chinese artist who led a daring march toward Tiananmen Square last February has been brought to court over a scuffle with police, and supporters say the trial is revenge for his outspoken work.
Wu Yuren has helped lead other Beijing artists to protest sometimes violent harassment from developers who want to tear down their studios in the national hunger for real estate profits.
He was charged after a confrontation with police in May. Wu says he was beaten, but is accused of hurting a police officer`s fingers.
Wu`s Canadian wife, Karen Patterson, has said any sentence would be a travesty.
The trial began on Wednesday but was adjourned after Wu`s lawyer protested that police video entered as evidence had been edited. No date has been set for its resumption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened