Activists say airstrike in north Syria kills 14
Beirut: A government airstrike on a town in north Syria on Friday killed 14 people, mostly women and children, anti-regime activists said.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the 14 were killed in a strike on the town of al-Safira, south of the northern city of Aleppo. The dead included two women and eight children.
An Aleppo activist who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons provided a list of the names of the dead and said the government often strikes the town because rebels are attacking a large military complex on its outskirts.
Rebels clashed with soldiers there today, he said.
A video posted online that purported to show the site of the strike showed a large area covered with the rubble and the walls sheared off of a row of buildings nearby.
The video appeared genuine and corresponded to other AP reporting.
Activists say the regime often takes revenge for rebel advances by bombing residential areas. They say more than 40,000 have been killed in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar Assad in March 2011.
Earlier in the day, activists said that rebels stepped up their siege of a military base further to the north, near the Turkish border, and government warplanes bombed surrounding areas to support the defenders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- India's economy never been in stronger position than today: Parekh
- HP's privacy screen secures notebooks from visual hacking
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai receive Khel Ratna award
- Significance of why Lord Shiva wears tiger skin! Read more
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra rock 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions—Watch video!