Activists say security forces kill 5 in Syria
Beirut: Syrian forces killed five people on Monday in raids on anti-government protesters determined to bring down the autocratic regime, according to a rights group.
Syria`s six-month-old uprising has descended into a bloody stalemate pitting government forces against angry crowds of protesters. The UN estimates the death toll has topped 2,200 people.
The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said military forces conducted deadly raids Monday in Houla, an area consisting of several villages in central Homs province, killing five people.
The observatory quoted one of its activists in the area as saying there was intense shooting, and tanks have cut roads in the area.
President Bashar Assad, whose family has ruled Syria for more than four decades, insists the unrest is being driven by a foreign conspiracy to destroy the country and says security forces are the real victims.
On Monday, the state-run media said a "terrorist group" ambushed two buses in the central province of Hama, killing four police officers.
Syria has banned independent media coverage, making it difficult to verify the reports.
The Syrian uprising began in mid-March, part of the wave of protests in the Arab world that have toppled autocrats in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!