Advance UN observer team for Syria on standby
Geneva: An advance team of UN observers is ready to enter Syria, where the ceasefire has been "relatively respected" despite government troops and heavy weapons still in cities and continuing abuses, the spokesman for international envoy Kofi Annan said on Friday.
The advance team is "standing by to board planes and get themselves on the ground as soon as possible" once the UN Security Council gives approval for the mission as hoped when it meets later Friday, Annan`s spokesman, Ahmad Fawzi, told a news conference.
Fawzi quoted Annan as telling the 15-nation Security Council that "the continued presence of Syrian armed forces, including armour, in and around population centres, must end immediately. Violence in all its forms, including arbitrary arrests, torture and abductions, must stop."
If the council gives approval, Fawzi said, the advance team would quickly prepare the way for a full mission of up to 250 observers on the ground that would help keep the peace "if the ceasefire holds and it turns into a genuine cessation of hostilities”.
Syria`s approval for the UN mission also is needed, Fawzi said, as is customary with such operations.
Fawzi also quoted Annan as telling the council "that we need eyes on the ground, in light of the fragile calm that appears to be prevailing. We need eyes on the ground quickly to observe and monitor the situation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof