Afghan presidential poll will be on time, in 2014: Karzai
Kabul: The Afghan presidential election will be held in 2014 in accordance with the country`s constitution, President Hamid Karzai said Thursday, denying reports that foreign troops` withdrawal and insecurity will suspend the poll.
"I am convinced and the government as well as the people of Afghanistan are firmly determined to hold the presidential election in 2014 in accordance with the constitution and that no motives, no reasons, no security incidents and no foreign misinformation will put back the arrangements to hold the election on time," Karzai told reporters at a press conference in his fortified palace here.
President Karzai took over as the first elected president of Afghanistan in December 2004 for a five-year term and his second five-year term as elected president began in November 2009, reported Xinhua.
The ultimate goal of the international forces in Afghanistan is to transfer security responsibility to the Afghan forces by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31