Afghan presidential poll will be on time, in 2014: Karzai
Kabul: The Afghan presidential election will be held in 2014 in accordance with the country`s constitution, President Hamid Karzai said Thursday, denying reports that foreign troops` withdrawal and insecurity will suspend the poll.
"I am convinced and the government as well as the people of Afghanistan are firmly determined to hold the presidential election in 2014 in accordance with the constitution and that no motives, no reasons, no security incidents and no foreign misinformation will put back the arrangements to hold the election on time," Karzai told reporters at a press conference in his fortified palace here.
President Karzai took over as the first elected president of Afghanistan in December 2004 for a five-year term and his second five-year term as elected president began in November 2009, reported Xinhua.
The ultimate goal of the international forces in Afghanistan is to transfer security responsibility to the Afghan forces by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE