Afghan Taliban condemn killing of Haqqani
Kabul: The Afghan Taliban on Tuesday condemned the killing of a senior Haqqani network leader but said his death would not have any impact on the militants` campaign of violence.
Unidentified gunmen gunned down Nasiruddin Haqqani, eldest son of the group`s founder, as he bought bread on the edge of Islamabad on Sunday evening.
Haqqani was the chief financier of the Haqqani militant network who are affiliated with Afghan Taliban and are the most feared group fighting US-led and Afghan forces in Afghanistan.
They have been blamed for spectacular attacks on Afghan government and NATO targets across Afghanistan, as well as for kidnappings and murders.
"We condemn the cowardly act of the defeated enemy and tell them that these kinds of terrorist actions will not have any negative impact on the current jihadi activities," the Taliban said in a statement.
"His death is a big loss for Islamic Emirate and all Afghanistan," it said.
Eyewitnesses described attackers on motorbikes spraying Haqqani with automatic gunfire at a bakery in Bhara Kahu on the northeastern edge of Islamabad.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the killing, which came less than two weeks after a US drone strike assassinated Pakistani Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud in North Waziristan tribal district.
Washington holds the Haqqanis responsible for some of the most high-profile attacks in Afghanistan, including a 2011 siege of the US embassy and, in 2009, the deadliest attack on the CIA in 25 years.
The United States put the Haqqani network on its terror blacklist in September 2012, and the Pentagon said the group represented a "significant threat" to national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister