Afghan vote step forward on `democratic path`: US
Washington: The US today congratulated Afghan people on the successful and peaceful second round of presidential elections and said that this is a significant step forward on the country`s democratic path.
"These elections are a significant step forward on Afghanistan`s democratic path, and the courage and resolve of the Afghan people to make their voices heard is a testament to the importance of these elections to securing Afghanistan`s future," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.
Congratulating the people of Afghanistan on the completion of the second round of voting in their historic presidential elections, Carney said the Obama Administration looks forward to working with the new Afghan president.
The US commends the voters, electoral bodies and security forces for their commitment to the democratic process.
The work of the electoral commissions in the weeks ahead will be particularly important, he said.
"As the President said when he reaffirmed our continuing commitment to Afghanistan beyond 2014, while the future of Afghanistan must be decided by Afghans, the United States will support the Afghan people as they continue the hard work of building a democracy," Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena