Afghan withdrawal depends on ground situation: US
Washington: The timetable of American troops` withdrawal from Afghanistan will be driven by situation on the ground, the commander of US forces in Afghanistan said.
David Petraeus, the four-star general recently installed to take over the Afghanistan war, told NBC that President Barack Obama has made clear he wants the best military advice possible concerning the drawdown of US forces in Afghanistan, Xinhua reported.
"Certainly, I am aware of the context within which I offer that advice," Petraeus said. "But that just informs the advice; it doesn`t drive it. The situation on the ground drives it."
Obama has set July 2011 as a deadline to begin withdrawing troops.
Petraeus said the challenge now is to demonstrate signs of progress, according to excerpts of the interview released by NBC Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy