Afghan withdrawal depends on ground situation: US
Washington: The timetable of American troops` withdrawal from Afghanistan will be driven by situation on the ground, the commander of US forces in Afghanistan said.
David Petraeus, the four-star general recently installed to take over the Afghanistan war, told NBC that President Barack Obama has made clear he wants the best military advice possible concerning the drawdown of US forces in Afghanistan, Xinhua reported.
"Certainly, I am aware of the context within which I offer that advice," Petraeus said. "But that just informs the advice; it doesn`t drive it. The situation on the ground drives it."
Obama has set July 2011 as a deadline to begin withdrawing troops.
Petraeus said the challenge now is to demonstrate signs of progress, according to excerpts of the interview released by NBC Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears