Afghan withdrawal depends on ground situation: US
Washington: The timetable of American troops` withdrawal from Afghanistan will be driven by situation on the ground, the commander of US forces in Afghanistan said.
David Petraeus, the four-star general recently installed to take over the Afghanistan war, told NBC that President Barack Obama has made clear he wants the best military advice possible concerning the drawdown of US forces in Afghanistan, Xinhua reported.
"Certainly, I am aware of the context within which I offer that advice," Petraeus said. "But that just informs the advice; it doesn`t drive it. The situation on the ground drives it."
Obama has set July 2011 as a deadline to begin withdrawing troops.
Petraeus said the challenge now is to demonstrate signs of progress, according to excerpts of the interview released by NBC Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube