Afghans do not see return of Taliban: Hillary Clinton
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton on Wednesday said that majority of the people in Afghanistan
do not see return of the Taliban, and expressed her full faith
in General David Petraeus, the new commander of US-led NATO
forces in Afghanistan.
"In every survey that`s been done, the people of
Afghanistan do not want to see the return of the Taliban. Yet,
at the same time, they are constantly under attack by a
relatively small, but nevertheless lethal suicidal band of
extremists," Clinton told TVP`s Tomasz Lis in an interview.
"The trick is to create the conditions where the
people will feel secure enough to stand up to the Taliban. And
in much of the country that exists, but in many key areas --
particularly in the south -- it is still a very difficult
fight," she said.
When asked about Gen David Petraeus, who has just
taken over command in Afghanistan, Clinton said the General
was very successful in Iraq, and she believes that he would be
successful in Afhanostan also.
"The (US) President (Barack Obama) and I, we certainly
have a lot of confidence in him," Clinton said.
"Now, no one is understating the difficulty. But the
reason why we`re there is because we recognise the threat that
an ungoverned, failed state that provides safe haven to
terrorists presents to all of us. And, despite how difficult
the conflict has been, you can point to slow but steady
progress. And part of our challenge is to accelerate that
progress, and to institutionalise it," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark