Kabul: Afghans held a rally in the capital
Kabul on Sunday to protest the alleged NATO killing of 52
civilians in the volatile south, but the coalition said it had
still found no evidence of the deaths.
More than 200 people demonstrated over the July 23
incident in the Sangin district of Helmand province, when
President Hamid Karzai says a rocket strike by a helicopter
gunship on a residential compound took place.
The protesters shouted "Death to America" and carried
banners calling for justice and pictures of children they say
were killed in the strike in Regey village, according to an
AFP correspondent at the scene.
But NATO and government investigations have not resolved
conflicting accounts of the alleged incident.
The Afghan National Security Council conducted its own
investigation at the president`s behest and found that a NATO
rocket had hit a house in Sangin "leaving 52 civilians dead,
including women and children", Karzai has said.
But assessments carried out by coalition and Afghan
officials, including imagery of the scene and interviews with
witnesses, have produced "no substance in terms of proof or
evidence" said NATO`s International Security Assistance
Force (ISAF) spokesman, Brigadier General Josef Blotz.
Blotz said that on July 23 there was a firefight between
coalition troops and insurgents lasting several hours in an
area "a couple of kilometres" away from Regey village.
There, he said, precision munitions had been used on a
compound where six to eight people, mostly insurgents, had
been killed, although "one to three civilians may have been