After abductions, Boko Haram kill hundreds in brazen attack on Nigeria village
Even as Nigeria and the entire world is shocked and still struggling to come to terms with the mass abduction of over 270 girls, Boko Haram continued to unleash terror.
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Abuja: Even as Nigeria and the entire world is shocked and still struggling to come to terms with the mass abduction of over 270 girls from a boarding school in Chibok province, militant outfit Boko Haram continued to unleash terror as they have reportedly killed hundreds in a brazen raid on a village in the restive northeast.
The deadly assault was staged by the Boko Haram on late Monday night in Gamboru Ngala – a village near Cameroon border - where Nigerian troops were deployed to search the missing girls.
According to the BBC, militants first misled the security troops to another village near Chad border, telling them that the girls had been spotted there. After the security forces had left, the militants staged a gruesome attack on the village, hurling grenades and burning hundreds of cars and buildings.
Ahmed Zanna, a senator from the village says that over 300 people are believed to have died in the raid, said the BBC.
In a brutal assault that went on for 12 hours, the militants opened fire on a busy market area, shooting at those trying to escape.
The casualties were confirmed by Borno state information commissioner Mohammed Bulama, accordingt to the Associated Press.
The latest episode of attack by the Islamic militants raises serious questions on Nigeria government`s abilities to rein in the Islamic terrorism which has been raging on for last 5 years.
Entire world is outraged over Boko Haram`s abduction of 276 girls from a boarding school in Chibok, which the militant group claimed in a video.
Claiming for the first time in a video first accessed by the AFP news agency, Boko Harma leader Abubakar Shekau said that the girls were not meant to be in school and it is Allah`s instruction that they must be sold.
Reports have it that the girls, who were in final year of the boarding school, were forced to marry their abductors at a normal bride rate of $12, according to the BBC.
The heinous abductions by the militant group has been termed as heartbreaking by the US President Barack Obama.
Obama has assured of support to Nigeria government in cracking down on militants and has deployed military experts to trace them.
Nigeria police have announced a cash reward of 50 million naira (USD 300,000) to anyone providing information helpful in locating more than 200 girls abducted by the Boko Haram militants.
The US First Lady has expressed support for the abducted girls by tweeting a picture of herself saying “Bring Back Our Girls:”.
Boko Haram started the uprising in 2009 and were designated as a terrorist organisation in November 2013.
Boko Haram when translated to English means “Western Education is forbidden”.
The Boko Haram militants have been strictly opposing western education and have been carrying increasing number of attacks on schools and colleges.
Deadliest of them were Gujba college massacre in September last year and Federal Government College Buni Yadi attack in Feb this year. More than 50 students were killed in both these attacks.